"You don't start when the green flag falls..."

Charlas generalistas sobre los campeonatos, y simuladores, y pachangas, y...
Responder
Xug

"You don't start when the green flag falls..."

Mensaje por Xug »

Muchachos,
Estoy intentando recordar una parrafada que le pegó Hill a un impetuoso una vez:
As twice world champion Graham Hill once said to an impetuous less experienced colleague who caused several starting incidents in the real-world F1 racing of that era, "You don't start when the green flag falls, you start when the guy in front of you starts".
Esto está sacado de aquí (mira que me gusta lo que hace el tío Phil)
http://www.asrg.org/gpl/gplac/gplac_news/notices.html
Pero yo estoy seguro que una vez leí la anécdota más larga y que estaba bien.
¿Alguien lo ha leido y sabe dónde encontrarlo? Gracias
:piloto:
dido
BadMaster

Mensaje por dido »

Derek describes racing in the Tasman series in '68\'69 with people who were "a lot of laughs...."

"...But there were also some serious moments, one of which has stuck vividly in my mind. I've referred back to it on many occasions since.

"It concerned an incident on the grid at Teretonga (NZ)...I was on the second row of the grid behind Chris (Amon) and Jochen (Rindt), while Graham (Hill) was right behind me on row three. I was still really a raving young Formula 2 driver and, when the flag dropped, I just let the clutch in with a bang. Jochen appeared to move at the same moment, but the Lotus only lurched forward a few feet. It had broken a drive shaft!

"Of course, I just slammed into the back of him. Boom! he shot forward again, so I dipped the clutch thinking that he was really starting this time. Boom! I hit him again, vaulted over one of his rear wheels and was away.....Despite the fact that the impact had deranged the suspension, I still managed to finish fifth.

"After the race, Jochen didn't say a word. It was Graham who raised the subject. We were sitting at a party that same evening and he said casually, 'What the hell were you up to today?'. So I tried to make a joke of it and replied,

"Oh I was trying to get rid of your team-mate,' knowing full well that there was some aggro between him and Jochen.

"Graham just fixed me with a stare. 'It's not funny,' he said firmly, 'it's just stupid. If I'd let my clutch out as well there would have been the most monumental accident. You don't just go when the flag comes down, you go when the bloke in front of you goes.'

"After a moment's reflection, it all seemed very obvious. I always remembered that comment and have reminded various young drivers, including my son.....You can't win the race on the starting grid, but you certainly can lose it with manoeuvres like that!"

- Derek Bell, "My Racing Life" (pgs. 30-31)
<a href="skype:diego_doni?call" title="Skype">Imagen</a>
dido
BadMaster

Re: "You don't start when the green flag falls..."

Mensaje por dido »

Xug escribió:Pero yo estoy seguro que una vez leí la anécdota más larga y que estaba bien.
No estaba muy lejos (en un sentido filosofico) :arrow: http://legacy.vroc.net/html/common/driving.htm 8)
<a href="skype:diego_doni?call" title="Skype">Imagen</a>
Xug

Mensaje por Xug »

estaba cerca, sí. gracias :brindis:
Responder